Location: Guatemala

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Secret (food) treasures

Sitting in the front room of a normal suburban house in the barrio of Colegiales Buenos Aires I had the best Vietnamese food I've ever, and dare say, may ever eat. Pho at UNSW is good, don't get me wrong, but this meal was unforgettable.

What is normally the living room of New York trained Korean-American  Christina Sunae is transformed on a Friday and Saturday night into a private dining experience for a maximum of 20 people. Where couches once sat, tables adorned with flowers and candles now lay; family portraits, the only hint of what once was there, still resting on the mantle.

The living room come restaurant

Apparently the phenomenon of closed door restaurants, or 'puertas cerradas' is common in Buenos Aires - I wish it would catch on in Sydney. Anyone who loves good food will love this. It feels like you're eating at home, or at a friends dinner party, yet with much, much, much better food (no offence anyone!)

To die for fried spring rolls filled with chicken, pork, carrot, glass noodles and shitake mushrooms was first up. Served with mint, cilantro, wrapped in a lettuce leaf and dipped in Nuoc Mam sauce, I was in heaven from first bite and it only got better.

As if reading my mind and knowing my favourite things, Thai mango salad with avocado, red onions tossed with a citric dressing and sprinkled with roasted coconut was not far behind, followed by a chicken in Thai yellow curry served over egg noodles and topped with crispy noodles, shallots, pickled mustard greens, fresh chilis and cilantro. Droooooooool.

The photo doesn't do it justice...

To top of a suburb evening of stuffing myself silly, desert was Vietnamese banana puff served with homemade green tea ice cream. Perfection.

Oh, and how could I forget - my all time favourite fruit, lychees. Something that I've been missing and have not seen anywhere were severed up to me in a lychee and lavender infused cocktail.
Good food, good wine, good company. An all round fabulous evening.

Christina Sunae has transformed her living room into a must do dining experience for anyone who makes it to BA - or for anyone in Sydney who can cook and wants an extra earner on the side, this is the perfect idea. Do it!! If you're any good, i'll be a regular.






No comments: