Location: Guatemala

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Grandfather

Bec and Grandfather

I sit on the sand in Mexico
and as I stare at the waves crashing down
I look back at my time with my Grandfather
and my frown turns up side down.

First there are the little things
that say 'Grandfather' to me
his neatly combed silvery hair;
his snoring in front of TV.

The corks as parking mechanisms
dangling in the garage
and the measuring pole down by the pool
that we nagged him to mark us on.

Then there are his stories -

You could never get him talking more
than when you asked about
his frightening pilot stories
terrorists, lightening and the like.

But what I'll remember most about my Grandfather
along with the trick of putting sugar on my toast
is how he was so kind hearted
so selfless...so generous...

And me, I consider myself extra lucky
for I have a permanent link to him
the genetic spot that blessed us both
the birthmark on my skin.

For 25 years I got to know him
his quiet, patient ways
that's a very long time to know a grandparent
and I'm grateful everyday.

I'm sorry I can't be there
to share in remembering his life
to comfort and support you
through this difficult time.

But try and think about the wonderful things
that Grandfather did throughout all his days
and know that now he is where he loves to be
high up in the sky.

No comments: